The Fraser Coast
Situated just 45 minutes away from Brisbane by plane, the Fraser Coast is an incredible destination showcasing many natural wonders. From marine parks and wetlands, to ancient rainforests and heritage streetscapes, it is clear why the Fraser Coast is a popular holiday destination in Australia. A fun fact about the area is that it is known as the country’s whale watching capital, so if you’re fascinated by Humpbacks, pop it on the bucket list!
There are countless family friendly activities available in the area, making it a great place to bring the kids along. Hervey Bay is particularly popular amongst families, with protected beaches, parks, playgrounds, picnic areas, shops, restaurants and a free waterpark to keep everyone happy.
Located between World Heritage-listed Fraser Island and the Fraser Coast mainland, Hervey Bay is a natural bay with 13km of sheltered beaches. It is the combination of safe swimming spots, generous BBQ areas and crowds that are always on the smaller side that make the beaches of Hervey Bay a paradise for families. It is also an extremely convenient holiday destination due to its consistent climate, and can be comfortably visited all year round. Looking for itinerary ideas? Keep reading!
Where to Stay in Hervey Bay
- Camping is an extremely popular way to experience Hervey Bay, as you will easily find everything you need in terms of equipment, supplies and camp grounds all over the coastal town. Whale watching season runs from mid-July to late-October, so if you’re lucky enough to visit during that time, be sure to get a camp spot with water views!
- Fraser Coast Holiday Park is a 4 star multi award winning caravan park, offering studio units, on site caravans, cabins, glamping and both powered and unpowered camping sites. Its wide range of accommodation options, recreational facilities and dog friendly status make it a popular choice for families.
- Mantra Hervey Bay is a great accommodation option for families who are looking for a hotel rather than a campground or caravan park. With incredible views overlooking the water, and spacious hotel rooms and apartments, families love to relax on their balcony and enjoy the beauty of the bay.
What to Do in Hervey Bay
- Known as the whale watching capital of Australia, it would be a crime to visit without experiencing Hervey Bay Whale Watch. The Half Day Whale Watch is a popular tour for families, offering spectacular views of Fraser Island and the pristine waters of Hervey Bay, and of course, the opportunity to get up close and personal with migratory Humpback Whales.
- If you choose to visit Wetside Water Park, the kids will love you for it! Equipped with waterslides and a special area for the little ones with a fountain and tipping bucket, they’ll be occupied for hours. Entry to the water park is free for families, with fees applying only to the larger waterslides.
- World Heritage-listed Fraser Island is the world’s largest sand island and located very close to Hervey Bay. Fraser Explore Tours offers a day tour for travellers of all ages to navigate Fraser Island’s sand tracks on a 4WD adventure. Led by expert local guides, it is a great activity for families to discover the island’s history and landscape.
Where to Eat in Hervey Bay
- Eat at Dan & Steph’s is famous for its big breakfasts! Run by 2013 My Kitchen Rules Winners, it is a laid back restaurant that is big on flavour. With menu items such as the Bacon Cheeseburger Omelette, Reese’s Pieces Hotcakes and Buffalo Chicken Tacos, there is something for the whole family to enjoy.
- Enzo’s on the Beach, as the name suggests, is a restaurant and bar located right on Scarness Beach. The kitchen is open all day and night from Thursday to Sunday, and open for breakfast and lunch seven days a week. It is a great place to relax and enjoy a drink while admiring the incredible sea views.
- Hervey Bay Boat Club is a great place to take the kids, with three different restaurant options and a kid’s club. Harbourview Dining serves a la carte dishes featuring local seafood, meats and seasonal fruit and vegetables. It also offers incredible views over the marina as you eat.